Thursday, August 7, 2014

I am SO UPSET with myself ...

... I knew better than to try this!

I just wanted a little more shim to give me a better score line on my die cut and everything would have been okay if I hadn't forgotten about the shim I already had positioned under my bottom plate ... grrrrr!   And it was so close to getting all the way through before it went BANG@$#^&^#&^

In a panic I ran upstairs and employed hubby's helpful head & hands!
He meticulously started to disassemble my trusty Vagabond machine to try and get at the gears.



Okay ... so now it's in a zillion pieces and he can get to the gears (which don't appear to be sheered or damaged) ... but this baby is locked up tighter than a drum!!
So, it's time for the 'Bigger Hammer' method ... Air Tools 
(where is Tim the Tool Man Taylor when you need him???  LOL)

 OMG ... couldn't even get the gears to roll and free my precious die cut (which has been out of stock for months) with the air drill ... yikes!!  What have I done?

Plan B ...
Get out the Dremel Tool and slowly cut my top plate hopefully close enough to the cylinder to be able to pull the other side out, which would hopefully release the whole thing and save my die.  If anyone can fix it & save it ... it's MY HUBBY!!  He has the patience of a Saint!
 Did you notice the hammer in the 1st picture?
That was MY solution but he said ... no, no ... let me take a look!


 

As I type this, he is STILL out in the garage working at freeing my die cut sandwich!  
(Been working on this since noon ... and it's 3:20 ... told you he was a patient man!)

NOW MIND YOU, if this doesn't work and my vagabond is TOAST, I'm luckily prepared with a BACKUP VAGABOND, brand new in the box,  that I purchased at Archiver's when they were going out of business for 50% off.  


And, I can even purchase new long plates.  I just hope he doesn't break my Cheery Lynn Designs Step Card Die Frame ... that would be a problem!!!  
This die is not just out of stock ... it is SOLD OUT!!!

Wish me luck ... I'm headed out to the garage for an update!
Keep your fingers crossed!!!

UPDATE!!!

Mark was able to save everything except the machine!!
But he hasn't given up yet ... read on ...


One of my plates is a bit SHORTER now (see photo to the left) but it's still usable!

My Cheery Lynn Die is a little bent ... no biggie ... that even happens when you run it through the machine!  LOL!


Now as far as the Vagabond itself ... well after putting it back together and a little further investigating, here seems to be the problem.

First we thought it broke the shaft that turns the gear head ... but it turns out the gears INSIDE the motor that run the shaft are what's broken!

But he's not giving up yet!!!   He went online, located the same motor and is placing the order as we speak.  Worth the effort for $40!
In the meantime I'll set up my 'backup' Vagabond and keep crafting. 

HUBBY TO THE RESCUE!
He's such a smart guy!!!!
THANKS HONEY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.